Thursday, March 25, 2010
Nishiki Manitoba Progress
Above: Bracket removed and re-packed,crank cleaned up, new chain installed
Above: A recycled set of mountain bike pedals with traps and straps
Above: Front axle and bearings removed, cleaned, re-greased and re-assembled
Above; ARAYA Aluminum rims, not bad for a garbage day rescue bike
Above: 7 spd free-wheel cleaned-up w brushes and White-Lightning "Clean-Streak"
Above: Cleaned up and re-mounted the rear derailleur and re-built the head-set
Hello and Welcome, As you can see I have been working on the Nishiki. You will notice the dust-caps are missing from the crank. I mention this because I found some
at bikeworldusa.us starting at .99 cents. I will use some from a parts bike for this project. But I will be ordering some for stock real soon.I think the nicer ones were 1.29 each (cheaper and nicer than what I saw on e-bay today)
As for the pedals I will be using this set that I have been saving for just such a project.They are not fancy, but other than a little fraying on the strap-ends they are in good condition. I might trim the strap-ends then melt the edges to stop future fraying.
I cleaned up the hubs and re-greased the free-floating bearings. I accidently spilled 10 of them on the garage floor. But the "Bike Gods" were being kind to me today. I actually found all 10 of them, I`m pretty sure that was a first.
The rear-wheel and 7 sprocket free-wheel and rear-derailleur all cleaned up nicely.The free-wheel(like a cassette)was the toughest. It had been out in the weather as was the chain. I scrapped the chain but decided to clean-up the free-wheel
unit. First I sprayed it real good and used my Park brush and scraper on it.Then sprayed it again and cleaned between each of the gears with the edge of a shop rag.
Then hit it again with a small wire brush then one more quick rinse with the White-Lightning. The derailleur and rim were in much better shape and cleaned-up easily.
As it turns out I will not be able to use the handle-bars, stem and shifters, etc
from the salvaged pile. Turns out the stem is not the correct size. So I have sanded down the bars and they are ready for paint. I may still use the shifters and brake levers. Also,I did order some cool stuff for the Nishiki. It will be getting a gray and black sport-comfort saddle. And some matching black and gray mountain bike grips.
And I will be installing a new Aluminum micro-adjust seat-post.I also ordered a new set of brake shoes for front and back. Then I will be installing new, blue powder-coated water-bottle cages. I managed to find all this stuff at one supplier which really saves on shipping. The saddle is a brand I have never used before (except salvaged) it is a Velo and it looks real sharp. I love my WTB Saddles but this one looks good and was very reasonable.
That pretty much catches us up on the Nishiki. I did also take delivery on the parts order for the Trek. The saddle has a tiny bearing rolling around inside one of the rails. But it looks fantastic. And was about 65% off. At my age I`ll never hear it in there while I`m riding anyway.lol. So I will be updating you on the Trek real soon. Right now I`m trying to decide if I am going to paint it or not.
Mean Time, Ride Safe and Please remember to RESCUE,RESTORE&RECYCLE. And wear a helmet. A helmet looks a lot cooler than massive head wound.