Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sportex Project Continues 2

Hello and Welcome, I was not feeling well this past week. So I did not do any work on the Sportex 12. Today I am feeling somewhat better, so I spent a little time working on the bike.

Turns out the Sugino Crank off the Fuji has a triple chain ring. Not enough clearance for the smallest chain ring.(on the Sportex) That was an easy fix, I just removed the smallest chain-ring. It was insanely small anyway and I would have never used it. Besides 12 speeds is more than enough for me.


Also the rear derailleur that I was going to use off the Fuji is a frame mount type. And there is no hole in the Sportex frame for it. And no corresponding spot to drill one either. So in the spirit of "keeping it simple" I have decided to go with the Shimano derailleurs off the Nishiki.(for now anyway)

I have not cleaned up the crank arms or chain-rings yet. I want to make sure everything is going to work before I start polishing everything up. I did however clean-up the derailleurs. Being the front derailleur has no plastic parts,I went ahead and placed it in the de greaser bucket. I think it cleaned up nicely. As for the rear derailleur I took off the jockey wheels and cleaned those up with White Lightning Clean Streak. I also used it on the main body of the derailleur. Then I put a multi speed chain on to see how everything works, and so far no problems. I have to go look at a small stone job this evening, so I had to cut it short. I am hoping to be back at it tomorrow. In the mean time Please Ride Safe and Remember to Always.... RESCUE, RESTORE & RECYCLE
Cheers,Hugh

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Cycling Blog Directory