Above: The rear wheel was not so easy, evidently it was in a much damper area. That may sound funny, but I see it a lot. One wheel much rustier than the other. I imagine the rear wheel was nearer a door. This pic shows two things. First, how much pitting was left behind after brushing. And second, how much rustier the bottom (the area closest to the floor) of the wheel is. If you look t the right of the brushed area you can see the rust was much less severe. If you were doing a "show bike" you would want to replace it. But this is just a fun-bike that won`t cost a fortune when finished, and will still look really good.
Above: I decided to go with a more aggressive KENDA tire on this bike. I know that many students ride pretty much year round. And with the winters we have here, a little extra traction will come in handy. I thought I had a set of tires for this bike
in stock, but the tires ISO number was wrong. These are I believe a 26 x 1-3/8inch tire with a 590 ISO. I believe the tires I have in stock are a 597 ISO. So watch those ISO numbers especially with Old 3 speeds.
Above: The finished project. I think the real cork grips give it a vintage look.
I Shellacked them to protect them from the weather. I used the Permatex (hardening)
gasket sealer to keep them securely in place. I smeared some sealer inside the grips then slid them on. You will want too wear a plastic glove for that part.
It was labor intensive brushing the rack, but well worth the effort.
Well that about covers it for this project. I would like to apologize for the delay in showing the finish pics of the "Parliament Custom Built Made in England". I am not 100% pleased with the paint touch-up color match . But here it is just before I re-installed the original rear wheel (shown in foreground)