Sunday, November 4, 2012

Searching for the Best Cheap 29er ?

Hello and Welcome, The other day an acquaintance asked me "Hugh do you know where I can find a good but affordable men's 29er Mountain bike"? I answered "not really but I will do some checking around and get back to you, give me a few days. Personally, I have never owned or ridden a 29er Mountain Bike. But I must admit I am looking forward to the experience. My search will focus on two price levels, the 200.00 to 300.00 range and the 300.00 to 500.00 range. What am I looking for? First a brand name that can be resold, should the the new owner decide "its just not my thing". A quality but not a "super high tech" bike. I think, If He can go without all the latest "bells and whistles", I may be able to find him a decent quality bike for a reasonable price. There are a some brands I wont even bother looking at RoadMaster, Pacific, Kent, Huffy that other one... Magna, well you get the idea. And I will only be looking at hard-tails as that is what most people I know prefer to ride.
Above: We have to start somewhere so I will start with the Polaris Rush 29er. Not much in the description (not a good indicator) Alloy frame, Shimano TX35 rear Derailleur shift intigrated brake levers. front disc (no brand listed) Rear V brakes. I consider the use of a company name like Polaris or Jeep or Hummer a big red flag. Attaching a brand to an inferior product is a common ploy to make you think of the quality of the bike as being on the same level as the attached name. This is seldom if ever true, you might want to watch out for that. At 269.97 this bike is not gonna make the cut.
Above: The Schwinn Elite Fire Wire 4.0 29er Black/Red 24 speed/alloy rims (description lacks detail not a good sign) Saddle WTB (there is a plus) Front brake disc. Rear brake linear ProMax. Shifters "non Series" (what the heck is a non series) Chain Alloy / Alloy Rims (again no details) I was actually liking this bike a little until the last part. Tire width 1 inch (no like) Weight capacity 250 lbs (a little low) 41.9 lbs (too heavy) At 399.99 this is a nice looking bike. But in the end it doesn't make the cut either.
Above: The Mongoose Impasse HD 29er. Aluminum frame. Alloy rims. Suspension fork. Front and Rear Disc brakes. 21 speed with Shimano rear derailleur. Sram Twist shifters. Crank alloy.(description lacks way too much detail) And its ugly too. At 229.13 this Mongoose doesn't even come close to making the cut.
Above: The Mantis Colossus Mt bike 29er. I could disqualify this one on the name alone! But that would be stupid. Steel Frame (not necessarily bad) Shimano rear D. Twist grip shifters. 29 Alloy rims. Front disc brake / Rear V brake (this description lacks way too many details) nice paint and chrome though. Repeat after me.. Chrome wont get you home! Chrome wont get you home! At 197.34 to 199.99 Not a chance. Pass
Above: DIAMONDBACK 2013 Overdrive V 29er. Finally! Butted Aluminum frame (sounds ok) SR Suntour KXCT 29 Fork (an actual brand name) Shimano Atlus rear derailleur (this just keeps getting better). W/EF-51 7 Speed Easy Fire Shifters (I like these shifters) Pro Max Alloy Linear Pull Brakes w Shimano Levers (brand names a big +) WTB Wolverine Comp 29 tires (I am really liking this bike!) DB Micro Adjust seat post and DB Race Saddle. Cranks SR Suntour 22/32/42. Sealed Bottom bracket. Gear Shimano 7 speed cassette. Wheels 32 hole Weinmann SL-7 Double wall. Headset Intigrated FSA drop in ACB upper. Zero stack lower Internal cup 9 cartridge bearings. At $349.31 amazon.com (20inch frame) This bike easily makes the cut! But lets see what else is out there.
Above: Jeep Comanche Mt bike 29er. 18.5 inch frame.(insert red flag here) Satin Copper. Aluminum frame. ZOOM 29er Fork (not pleased at all with my Zoom fork) Over sized 31.8 Alloy stem. Shimano Tourney 21 speed shifters and rear derailleur.(brand name) Radius Front disc. Ship weight 25 lbs (that's probably incorrect) But at 238.88 I am going to pass. The lack of details about the wheels is not good. Branding makes me very suspicious. And as I mentioned I am not a big fan of the Zoom fork. The rubber seals on mine are already coming apart. Burn me once.... PASS
Above:(Sears) Thruster 29er Aluminum frame w forged drop-outs. Zoom 29er suspension fork. Shifters 24 speed Sram X4 w indicators. Cranks Truvativ 26/38/48. Cassette Sun Race ChroMo MFM - 6-13-32. Tires Kenda Nevegal 29x2.1. Wheels Custom Alloy V rim Disc w stainless steel spokes. Pedals VP Alloy platform. While some of the info about the bike is pretty good. I still have trouble getting past the Zoom fork. At 413.18 I will pass with some hesitation.
Above: The 2012 Diamondback 29er. Brakes Tektro Novela Disc w 6 inch Rotors. (there is the big difference from the 2013) Fork SR Suntour. Tires WTB. Shift Sram x4 Trigger. Front derailleur Shimano. Rear derailleur Sram. This is a nice "resell able" brand name bike that makes he cut easily. The 549.00 price is a little out of my specified range. If I was going to spend that much money I think this would be a real good choice. If you found it on sale for 500.00 then yes definitely a winner.
Above: North Woods N 29 (Meijer) Aluminum frame 29er. 21 speed Shimano FF40 shift. 36 hole Alloy rims. Alloy 31.8 stem. Steel Crank 28 38 48. Front disc brake. Rear linear pull brake. Alloy post clamp. Weight Capacity 200lbs. Descriptions lacks some detail. The 200 lbs capacity is too low. Maybe ok for someone about 150 lbs who is just cruising around town. At 293.14 a definite pass. At Meijer's Store 199.99 A much better deal. I did own a North Woods w 26 inch wheels before. And that was it`s weakness as well. Not sturdy enough. Might be ok for lighter rider cruising around town or in the subdivision. Still a Pass for me though.
Above:Genesis Two Nine 29er.(walmart) 18 inch aluminum frame. 21 speed. Front disc brake. Rear lineal pull brake. Large wheels (now there's a detail for you) Alloy bar stem. weight 37 lbs. At 199.00 this Genisis bike did not come close to making the cut. No details in the description at all. Usually an indicator that the cheapest possible components were used. a definite Pass. Nice color though :)
Above: The Iron Horse 4.1 Osprey 29er.(sears) SunTour SR suspension fork. Alloy Bars and Alloy Stem Head. Sram Twist shift. Shimano TX rear derailleur. Front and Rear Pro Max disc. Light SR SunTour Crank. Alloy quick release Front and rear. At Reg 289.99 now 275.49 (available at sears) I like this bike. While I do not like "everything" about it I think it would be a great start for the price. This bike at 275.49 makes the cut. I would consider this bike for myself.
Above: The Raleigh Talus Sport.(REI) It comes in several higher priced levels as well. Frame Atomic 13 SL Custom butted Aluminum forged down-tube CNC machined Head tube. Fork SR SunTour XEM 80mm w/lockout. Threadless head set. Crank set Shimano MC442 Octalink 22/32/44. Front and Rear Shimano Acera shifters. Shimano M3 10 speed cassette. HG 50 9spd (11-34) Brakes Hayes MK5 Mechanical disc 180/160 rotors. Sizes small through extra large. Now this bike is about 650.00 I have seen it on sale for 600.00 Now if you can find one of these in the dead of winter you might get it cheaper. But I really like this bike. And besides I had to include a Raleigh. The folks at Raleigh must think a lot of this bike to name it the SPORT. I think this bike is the winner except it is 100.00 to 150.00 above the 500.00 range. But compared the the "high end" 29ers this is still pretty cheap.
Now if your wondering which of these bikes one "Ole Hugh' would buy. well, If I absolutely had to stay under 300.00 I would buy the Iron Horse. Now if I was trying to stay as close to 500.00 as possible I would buy the 2012 Diamondback. But I have to say for 350.00 I also like the 2013 Diamondback. Now if I really wanted to "Go to Town" and I could afford it, I would go with the Raleigh Talus Sport. Hands down the Best of This Group (in my opinion). In the Under 200.00 Range If I were you...I would Pass on All Of Them (and not just the ones in this group) and fix up a used bike for myself. Because as someone recently reminded me, That is what I am all about. Until Next Time.. Please RIDE SAFELY and Remember to Always...RESCUE, RESTORE & RECYCLE Cheers, Hugh
If I had given the people what they wanted, I would have sold them faster horses. Henry Ford....... ATTENTION AMAZON SHOPPERS! You can help Support This Blog by simply shopping on Amazon dot com using the Amazon Search Box located at the Top Right Corner of This Page. It will not effect your cost and I will receive a very small commission. Thanks for your support, Hugh

22 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John,
      That is kind of scary to think one company controls so much of the bicycle market. I knew that many of the cheaper brands were actually owned by the same company. But it appears that the same thing has happened (or is happening) to the higher quality brands as well. I found a list on Wikipedia of companies brand names the Dorel sells. for some reason it would not copy and paste to here.
      About rescuing Pacific, kent, Magna etc. etc. I am all for recycling any usable bike. As long "as the new owner knows what they are getting". I tell new owners of recycled department store bikes "Keep it lubricated and do not leave it outdoors. And when it gets wet dry it off." Also I do not think all Department store bikes" are the same quality. For instance Sears now sells Iron Horse.
      But the bottom line (in my opinion) is "Buy what you want, where you want". But you may want to consider "other factors" before making your purchase.
      Cheers

      Delete
  2. We should not forget that Schwinn and Mongoose have the same management as Roadmaster and Pacific. They also own Cannondale and GT. Brand names do not mean what they once meant. After all, Serotta built race bikes for Huffy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steve,
      I sure have learned a lot of interesting (and not all good) things about the bicycle industry from reading your responses. Thanks for all the feedback.
      It is obvious from reading the list that all Chinese bikes are created equal.
      Cheers

      Delete
  3. I've seen that Iron Horse at both our own Sears and on a local trail (actual,technical,rocky/rooty/hilly singletrack). IDK how well it's held up for it's owner,but I did notice he was all smiles,and his enthusiasm helped gap the difference between his IH and my Vassago (which cost almost 10x as much when I built it up)-and that speaks volumes ;)

    Good list,I have to 2nd your thoughts (with the exception of refering to the best shifty-bits on earth,Sram,as Scram repeatedly :p).

    The Raleigh looks heads and shoulders above most of em,and better than all of em,and I wouldn't hesitate to swing a leg over either Diamond Back for the $ either-bearing in mind I pretty much only ride steel (as it's more forgiving,in general,on my old spinal injuries/issues,not because it's inherently better or worse ;) ).

    Mention to your friend to check out bikesdirect.com as well,they often have bargains of "house brand" bikes,and over the years I've found them to be decent bikes from decent folks with decent customer care.

    The DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey DC, LTMS That "scram" thing was not deliberate I promise. Sometimes things get mixed in between my brain and the keyboard. When I get a chance I,ll go back and do some repairs.
      I agree about the Raleigh that is one sweet bike. And that one is the entry level model! The "top of the line" model is INSANE.
      And good idea about suggesting "Bikes Direct". I should have thought of that since I did buy a bike from them once,
      Thanks. Cheers Hugh

      Delete
  4. I rode a Garry Fisher 29er it was awasome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dan, Cool. The only Gary fisher bike I remember coming through the shop was a kids model. I was impressed by the quality though. Cheers

      Delete
  5. I'm with the DC concerning the enthusiasm factor vs. the idea of having no bike at all because you can't afford the top shelf. At least I think he was saying something like that. Your post is a reminder of the bad news of buying a bike: One More Hundred Dollar Bill (or two) can get you one more level up the braggin' ladder. But where does "better" start being pure "braggin'"? The manufacturers say it is so there is something for everyone but I think it is an evil oriental plot to drive us crazy.

    I also agree about the Bikes Direct part of his comment. What are they, the Walmart of the Interwebs? I know that outfit catches a lot of hell, but Mike has a titanium road bike over there that will fit 45's and has a sweet geometry and full SRAM running rig.

    One general consensus is that 29ers rock. I'll agree with that. And Hugh, there is a whole forum of guys who are rabidly loyal to their Mongoose Deception mtb's from the Wally. None of these guys seem to be competetive riders but with a few part swaps and a little tweaking they seem to be getting a lot of fun out of a two hundred dollar bicycle.

    This one of those discussions that has no bottom, isn't it? I'll go away now. tj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey TJ,
      I'm thinking, When your bike exceeds your ability and your needs, That's bragging.
      But that is just my opinion, Which combined with a dollar and twenty five will still get you a small coffee at Speedway.
      I just wish there were moderately priced bikes I could purchase without feeling guilty. If it`s not the store itself I find offensive. Then it`s the companies pollution record or labor practices I find offensive. Having a conscience is pain in the @$$ sometimes.
      And I agree some bikes of humble beginnings can be greatly improved with a few key changes.
      And you are 100% percent correct, this discussion could go on indefinitely.
      And what about "Spell Check"? Sure it lets me misspell Scram over and over again. But yet it insists that I am misspelling Sturmey Archer. What the #@&$ is up with that $#!~ ?
      Cheers

      Delete
  6. To follow on the Bikes Direct comment I found this one that might make your list http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29_sport_xiii.htm its not the Motobecane we know and love but seems to have a decent component list and discs front and rear. Having never bought from them I would probably approach them as I would a Wallyworld bike, take it apart lube it, tighten it, true it and THEN ride it. Good article Hugh as always, how's the ol LL Bean comin'?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ryan,
    I checked that bike out and it must be a decent bike as most colors have sold out. I did purchase a road bike from them once, also a Motobecane. Or at least that's what the decals said. :) It arrived in excellent condition and on time. However I think shipping bikes is "a gamble at best". I sent one (fixed gear) back to Nashbar once that was damaged during shipping. And the only bike I ever shipped was damaged during transit. Two out of three for me were bad experiences. That is one of the reasons I do not ship bikes. The other is cost of course.
    The L.L. Bean bike is coming along slowly. Mostly due to distractions like fall cleanup and we were having trouble with our well. Now most of the leaves are gone. And the well is now working again (new pump)after adjusting the new "pressure switch" several times.
    Today I am gonna flop and chop a set of bars for the L.L. Bean. I have drops on it now, and it just is "not making it" for me. I`ll post a pic of it with the drops on it on the F.B. page. Good to hear from you as always my friend. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugh,

    I can never get the "reply" icon to work,LOL! I hope you know I was being funny with tongue in cheek on the scram remarks ;),it's like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge...I've had good and both from each,just as I have from the two big S's in shifty bits :p

    The DC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey DC,
    No worries lol I did not even realize I was doing that (scram) thing :) I did not even notice it when I proof read the post. I usually wait 24 hours before proof reading something. If I proof read something I have written right away, I tend to miss my mistakes. I have no problem laughing at my self, I do it all the time.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. All this talk of spell check made me go back and check my post. I'm so embarrassed I'll be reposting shortly. Sorry for anything unsavory that may have been mistakenly put forth, especially in light of the recent and local Autum tragidy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will repost when I get home next week... =)
    John h

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your idea, but fear there is no avoiding the corporate machines reach, Dorel is into just about everything. And if its not corporation ABC then its corporation XYZ. Quality used stuff thats been beaten up and still can be put right is always gonna win in my book, if it can be obtained at a reasonable price. If you can pluck a quality Pacific, Kent, Magna, frame from the trash why not? It's a shot in the right direction isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John,
      Anytime you make something useful out of something destined for the landfill is a very good thing. Sorry for the delayed response. Have a Wonderful Holiday Season,
      Hugh

      Delete
  13. LOL,"Spellcheck" is about all the proof-reading my drivel normally gets,and half the time I forget that :p

    The DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spell check is a wonderful thing :) I only wish I had discovered it sooner...LTMS. Sorry for the delay, I have been feeling a little bit under the weather lately. Have a Happy Holiday Season. Hugh

      Delete
  14. Please don't beat me too bad...

    I did cave and buy a Kent Northwoods 29er,
    It's not as bad as you might think...
    Ok, I'm 200lbs and 6' and it hauls me fine,but I did some swaps to get it there.
    The shimano tourney SUCKED, so it was swapped with a deore, pedals were swapped out with alloy, front changer and bottom bracket were swapped with those on a trek, tires are now kendas (much better). The welds on this frame are actually pretty good, which was one of my first concerns.
    so all in all, if some swaps are done this is not a bad ride if you don't plan on a lot of down hill trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey,
      I am all about making things work better. You won't get any grief from me. I made a few changes to my Diamondback Overdrive that I think made it "a better bike for me". Keep me posted and Ride Safely.
      Cheers, Hugh

      Delete

 
Cycling Blog Directory