Hello and Welcome,
First a sincere Thank You to everyone who reads and supports this blog. We are well on our way to another "monthly hits" record for March. The weather has cooled off a bit and we had a frost warning last night. But it is back up around 50 degrees F today. I am waiting for all kinds of stuff to show-up for these three bikes I am working on right now. So I have been tinkering around the shop killing time.
Goo Gone". I did put a saddle on it and took the bike for a test ride. It is working fine but felt "kind of light". I think I am going to set a rider weight limit on this bike at 150 lbs. It felt like the bike was straining to carry my 195 lb. frame. That might just be my imagination though.
18 volt rechargeable drill. I think I`ll try to cut out the letter or design on this one. There has to be something in the Dremel kit that I can use for this. That is as far as I got on this badge. I will post an update when I get it finished on a future post.
micro adjust seat post and the saddle to arrive. And I still need to fix that ding in the top-tube.
suspension fork and the tires on the Specialized Rock Hopper FS. When it`s finished I will test ride it. And if I like it, I might keep it for myself and sell the Giant. You know, the Giant I said I would never sell. It will all depend on how the Rock Hopper feels with the new smoother tires. I think I ordered the K West street tires for it.(it was late) I might have ordered the Kenda Kross tires, but I don`t think so. I`ll keep the off road tires for it as well. The only "threaded" 1&1/8 fork I could find with all the right dimensions (travel and hub width) was a generic one. I hope I don`t regret that. I`m sure it will be fine for street use.
fixed gear bike that will have a flip-flop hub and fenders (maybe hammered) and racks. And I`m considering a vintage bell and generator lights. The head-set bearings were in fine shape and cleaned up easily.
They were to tall for the Centurion, I`m glad I finally have a use for them.
JIS bottom bracket unit they tell me will fit. I was careful to order the recommended bracket length 110 mm (and type) for the single crank. This old style bottom bracket to cartridge type conversion will be another first for me. I think I might already have the correct bracket tool. I spent a little more on this crank and I am hoping it will be straighter than the last one. I don`t think you should have to spend a lot of money just to get a straight crank. We will see how that goes I guess.
Pletscher rear rack and a vintage stem mounted bell and a generator light set. I`ll have to mount those SKS fenders and see how they look.
front derailleur. I test rode the crap out of it and shifted the front several times with no problems. But so it goes. I will gladly fix it for free. It just bothers me a little because I was so sure the problem had been fixed. I have enough spare parts on hand that I could replace the crank-set, shifter and front derailleur if I have to. I`ll do whatever it takes to get it right I guess.
Brooks Saddle on it. The rack is a genuine Pletscher not a Pletscher style rack. The stem mounted bell is vintage off an old KTM touring bicycle, not a reproduction. I had the rear hub and free-wheel serviced by the only mechanic I could find that still had the free-wheel tool for the old English Free wheel.(He`s pretty much retired now) At three hundred dollars I might break even. But that is not good enough not for this bike. I am hoping to get four hundred dollars, which means I`ll have to ask at least 450.00 . I guess we will have to see how it plays out.
grief & loss ~ St Augustine
15 minutes ago