Saturday, August 15, 2009

Ladies Schwinn Traveler Restoration

Hello Bicycle Lovers, Friday morning I stopped by one of my favorite "secret" Thrift Stores, and struck gold! I ended up purchasing three project bikes. One a smaller light blue Fuji Road bike with some nice components Sun Tour, Dia Compe. etc. Also two Schwinn Hybrid bikes (not the department store variety). These have alloy wheels with front and rear quick release, Shimano Rapid-Fire shifters.Both have classic lugged frames. I think built by Giant. And very nice paint. And all the indications of low mileage. They are both rigid frame bikes. The two Schwinn bikes will be more maintenance and detailing than actual restoring. They will both make nice campus bikes. Especially if I can find a deal on a couple of rear bicycle racks. After unloading my finds, I jumped back into rebuilding the Ladies Schwinn. I had already stripped it and cleaned all the headset bearings type="amzn" category="sports collectibles"> and stuff. So I started with the frame and fork, Very Grimy. I used the Meguiars paint cleaner. Then rebuilt the head-set. Next I cleaned up the shifters and stem. Then stripped the wheels. They were a mess, lots of oil-dirt mix coating. Even the spokes were coated with this tacky oily grime. After getting the wheels looking good, I got them remounted. Then I started cleaning and polishing and remounting one component at a time. I started with the chain-ring and arms using Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish, as always. Then the brake caliper arms got the Mothers treatment as well. Then onto the rear derailleur. After that I replaced the chain. The derailleur was not froze up at all. (nice change of pace) I was able to clean it up with White Lightning Clean Streak and some elbow grease. I ran out of White-Lightning and cleaned the front derailleur with brake parts cleaner. (strong stuff) I touched it up withTurtle Wax Chrome Polish & Rust Remover. Then touched it up with a fine brass brush. BRASS is much kinder to chrome than steel wire. I NEVER use a steel wire brush on chrome. Same goes with steel wool. Brass wool pads (or copper) are better if you can find them. Anyway after the derailleurs and brake calipers. I cleaned up the handlebars and mounted them. They had some residual adhesive from the tape, which I used Goo Gone to remove. Also the handlebars had some surface rust. I removed the rust with the Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner & Rust Remover. And after a little touch-up with the brass brush, I mounted the drop handlebars on the bike. I also cleaned up the cable guides/stoppers and re-mounted them on the down tube. This was good because I really wanted to run the new cable to the rear derailleur and see how it was working. After a little aligning and adjusting it worked fine. That`s a good thing to mention. If you are having trouble "dialing in" a rear derailleur. Check the rear wheel for alignment. Measure the width from the inside edge of the chain stay to the wheel. Do this in the same spot on both sides of the wheel. If the wheel is not straight, you will not be able to get the rear derailleur dialed in 100%. Well that was about it for Friday. I am beat! Brutally Hot & Humid here today. I will tell you about today (Sat) tomorrow. Ride Safe and remember to always...RESCUE, RESTORE & RECYCLE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cycling Blog Directory