Hello, I found this little Huffy at the Thrift Store it was 24.99 but 50% off. I think the camel-back frame with the wish-bone rear end are interesting. I noticed it had steel chrome wheels and that the rear wheel was badly bent.Then I remembered a Pacific full suspension mountain bike back in the garage with a bad front end.I have kept the Pacific around hoping suspension fork would turn up. Well that never happened.But the Pacific has the same size wheels (but alloy) as the Huffy. Also some pretty good all terrain tires. So I figure for 12.50 I`ll take it home and see what I can do with it.
As it turned out the wheels were a good fit. And the sprocket count (6) in the back is the same. Also I had some Jagwire X-Caliper brake shoes in stock that were very reasonable. So after installing the wheels and tires I replaced the brake shoes. Then it was time to clean-up the derailleurs and chain-rings and guard. I used the White Lightning Clean Streak on the derailleurs. For the guard and chain-rings I used Simple Green bio-degradable de greaser. I also used it on the top of the bracket shell where the tubes intersect. I forgot to mention than the one piece crank was a bit loose. I tightened that up before cleaning up the chain rings & guard. Well now we are getting somewhere. I noticed the seat post (black) was badly scratched. Well I removed it with the saddle still attached and sanded it down quickly. Then after wiping off the dust I gave it a quick coat of black satin enamel. I used the still attached saddle as a handle while spraying the post. Now it is just a matter of cleaning up the frame and wheels and tires. I did have to straighten the front reflector bracket. That only took a minute. Once I put the seat post back on minimal insertion (fresh paint). This little $12.50 bike is looking pretty good.
The one thing I did not mention was how dirty this thing was. I think the previous owner lived on a dirt road that gets treated. (chloride) While they kept most of the frame pretty clean, the front and rear derailleurs were really bad. Once the chloride soaked dirt sets into the chrome parts you will have a tough time making them shine. I was lucky they (derailleurs) cleaned up pretty nice considering. Also I noticed the stem was up way past the minimum insertion mark. So I loosened it up and dropped it down to the max (safe) height. Also gave me a chance to align the stem with the front wheel. Now it is ready to be photographed and posted on the net. I`m not sure how much I have invested because I don`t remember what I paid for the parts bike (Pacific). I don`t imagine I gave more than 20.00 for it though. And I did strip it today and will no doubt use some of the parts on future projects. I have not started the Fuji Tourer 3 yet. I got busy with some masonry work. Tomorrow I think I will do another quick fix on a really good quality kids single speed BMX Bike (Specialized). Well that`s all I have for today. Until next time Please Ride Safe and Remember to Always... RESCUE RESTORE & RECYCLE
Goodbye ibikelondon blog, hello Strategic Cities
22 hours ago