Sunday, January 24, 2010

Wooden Bicycle

Hello and Welcome,
I found this article this a.m. & thought I would share it with my blog friends

Marco Facciola, a 16-year-old high school student, constructed this wooden bicycle to fulfill a class requirement.


As a 16-year-old high school student in the International Baccalaureate program, I am required to complete a 'personal project' on a non-academic topic that is of interest to me. I have always enjoyed woodworking and design, so I decided to build a functional wooden bicycle. There was to be no metal used in its construction, only wood and glue. I wanted a project that would be a challenge.
This project came to mind as I was reflecting on the many stories my opa, Case Vandersluis, told me about his Wooden bicycle adventures in Holland during World War II. Opa was roughly the age I am now when he had to build wooden wheels for his bicycle, as rubber was scarce during the war.I wasn't sure my wooden bicycle would actually work. I quickly realized the first pieces of the puzzle I needed to figure out were the chain and the sprockets (gears), since the design of all the other components depended on these.
You can read this article in full at
http://www.leevalley.com/newsletters/Woodworking/2/3/article1.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Cycling Blog Directory