Above: Rapide shown with the new TekTro Quartz brakes. I did have to re-drill front and rear mounting holes to accommodate flush mount brakes. The fork only required the rear hole to be re-drilled.
Above: I did end-up re-using the three piece cotter crank. It IS in near perfect condition. I also cleaned up the front derailleur with Clean-Streak and a little brass brush. I did switch the adjusting screws from another Sun-tour "sprit" derailleur. The new adjusters are longer and have springs. I was not able to get the "high-gear" adjustment I wanted with the shorter adjust screws. I had a damaged "Sprit" derailleur with longer adjusting screws. So that worked out nicely. Thats why I hate to throw anything away (:
but they are definitely thicker. I don`t like the feel of a really thin handle bar.
I took great care to make sure the cables are very secure to the handlebars. Wrapping each side in 4 spots, going around the bar at least 3 times with black electrical tape. On the rear brake lever (right) I did not route the cable around the far side of the head tube. This is again because of the location of the braze-ons for the rear brake cable. They go down the lower right side of the top tube. This would make going around the far side of the head-tube a bad idea. As it would have required me to bring the cable back to the right side of the top tube after going around the far side of the head-tube. That would not have "worked well" and would have looked awful too.
Well thats all for now. I am just waiting for the new post to arrive. And I need to run the derailleur cables. Also I have to decide if I want to use black or natural colored cork. The saddle will be black and the other set of pedals are alloy and black. So I`l leaning towards black at this point.
Till next time, RIDE SAFE! And remember to always RESCUE,RESTORE&RECYCLE :)